Senior Scientist - Optical Communication Systems (f/m)
Airbus Group Corporate Functions Munich
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
The Airbus Chief Technology Office (CTO) is looking for a Senior Scientist in Optical Communications Systems to join our Central Research & Technology - Communication Technologies department in Ottobrunn, Germany.
With your creative and analytic mind, you will use your unique expertise to inspire and conduct complex and strategic research to realise the technology needs for generation after next products related to communication systems.
Tasks & accountabilities
The principle responsibilities of the role can be summarized as follows:
- Deliver results of research tasks taking into account time, cost and quality.
- Performing strategic assessments of technologies to be selected as solutions for research projects.
- The Airbus internal and external partnering ecosystem is actively orchestrated.
- Keep up to date with state-of-the-art development in science and technology.
- Secure high quality of reports and documentation.
- Knowledge management in the area of technology.
- IP securing by drafting invention disclosures.
- Internal and external representation of research area.
- Acting as scientific advisor to the Head of Domain.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
Your Boarding Pass
- A strong and established Research background in Free-Space Optical Communication.
- Architecture of Optical or Hybrid (with RF) Free-Space Communication Networks.
- Modelling & Simulation of Free-Space Communication Networks.
- Experience in Optical channel models, including Atmospheric Propagation Models.
- Experience in Coherent Detection & Adaptive Optics.
- Experience in Pointing & Tracking Systems for Optical Communication.
- Detailed experience in demonstration of breakthrough Optical Communication technologies.
- General programming: MATLAB, Python, C / C++, Java.
- FPGA programming: VHDL, Verilog.
- Ray tracing: Zemax, OpTaliX or equivalent.
- Optical beam characterization: Code V, LightTools or equivalent.
- Systems Tool Kit – STK
- Advanced optical structure design tool such as Commod Pro or equivalent would be a plus.
- Lens design tool such as WinLens3D or equivalent would be a plus.
- Strong track record of scientific publications in high impact communication-related journals and invited talks.
- Negotiation level in English and German.
The following scientific capabilities would be a plus:
- Noise in optical communication systems;
- Quantum communications;
- Short-range optical communication (LiFi systems);
- Experience with optical-channel-specific coding and forward error correction;
- Remote optical powering;
- High-resolution interferometric measurements.
- Airbus (Corporate Functions), Airbus Defence and Space, Other Business
- approx. 6,500
- Open positions
Find the right job
Browse through the Airbus job market in order to find the position that suits you the most! The Job Market search engine will guide you through the different criteria you can select to look for jobs.
Create your profile & apply
Whether you’re applying for a vacancy in the Job Market or joining our candidate pool, you will need to create a candidate profile in the job market. Don’t forget to submit all relevant documents with your application: CV, cover letter, etc.
Pass the selection
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be screened by our recruitment team. If successful at this stage, we will get in touch with you for a first contact interview.
Please attach your CV in English.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.