Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics Scientist
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
The Airbus Chief Technology Office (CTO) is looking for a Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics Scientist to join the Material X team in Airbus Central Research & Technology. This position is to be based in Toulouse, France. You will report to the Head of Materials Expertise France Team.
In the context of the setting of the Material X/Material Science teams in Central R&T, a job position is open in the field Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics, contributing directly to the development of after next generation products and technology within Airbus materials & structures community, as well as supporting Expertise activities for next generation.
Your mission will be to perform research & analysis on fracture mechanisms, fatigue failures and other failures modes (static, creep, impact, corrosion).
With your creative and analytic mind, you will use your unique expertise:
- Developing and conducting research activities in the field of fatigue and fracture mechanics of metallic materials and structures for structural applications.
- Developing or improving knowledge in failure modes, fracture toughness, high cycle fatigue, low cycle fatigue, fatigue crack initiation, fatigue crack growth, fracture toughness, R curve, linear elastic fracture mechanics, non-linear elastic fracture mechanics.
- Application of the knowledge to material characterization, to mechanical behaviour and material failure modelling, to customer structural problem with innovative elements that could be integrated in customers’ design and certification methods.
- Opening activities to other failure modes in combination with fatigue and fracture mechanics.
- Contributing to the optimisation of the mechanical testing platform (testing procedures).
- Capitalizing and Growing internal knowledge by capturing knowledge from external companies & research institutes.
Tasks & accountabilities
- Research studies related to fatigue and damage tolerance of metallic materials and structures.
- Research project, one customer (Airbus company) oriented: definition of work with customer and inhouse relevant teams, work quotation, test monitoring, results analysis and interpretation with fatigue and fracture mechanics concepts, modelling, reporting to customer, delivery to customer.
- Support to the testing platform in specimen testing, results analysis, testing procedures and monitoring.
- Support to the failure analysis team in fracture mechanics.
- Improvement, development of fatigue and damage tolerance methods and models.
- Use of finite element codes: by job holder or supervising colleagues running the FE codes.
- Advising or bringing expertise on failure cases by the business units.
- Lecturing in professional training programmes or university curriculum.
- Scientific communications in conferences or journals, presence in learned societies.
- Support to strategic technology roadmap leaders.
- Report quality process.
- Acquisition of analytical / FE codes.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
Your Boarding Pass
- Solid Engineering background in Mechanical Engineering and Materials.
- Deep knowledge in Fracture Mechanics and Material Science.
- Knowledge and experience in Metallic Materials, Fatigue Damage.
- Deep knowledge of Materials Mechanical testing.
- Negotiation level in English and French is required.
- Pragmatic with strong team spirit to work in cooperation mode.
- Good communication skills, active listening and a pro-active approach.
- Airbus (Corporate Functions), Airbus (Commercial Aircraft), Airbus Defence and Space
- approx. 20,000
- Open positions
Find the right job
Browse through the Airbus job market in order to find the position that suits you the most! The Job Market search engine will guide you through the different criteria you can select to look for jobs.
Create your profile & apply
Whether you’re applying for a vacancy in the Job Market or joining our candidate pool, you will need to create a candidate profile in the job market. Don’t forget to submit all relevant documents with your application: CV, cover letter, etc.
Pass the selection
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be screened by our recruitment team. If successful at this stage, we will get in touch with you for a first contact interview.
Please apply with you CV in English.
Please apply on line for this vacancy on line at our careers site (www.jobs.airbus.com) with your CV and cover letter attached.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.