Airbus Blue Sky Research Project Leader (f/m)
Airbus Defence and Space Ottobrunn
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
The Airbus Chief Technology Office (CTO) is looking for 2 Research Project Leader (f/m) to join our Central Research & Technology – Airbus Blue Sky department in Ottobrunn, Germany.
Airbus Blue Sky is Airbus’ gateway to future technologies. The department defines the direction of fundamental research at the centre of the international organization. Airbus Blue Sky team members are ambassadors for academic-quality research in industry. Their goal is to dramatically impact both the scientific and aerospace worlds through research projects, white paper studies, workshops, and advocacy. They work on world-leading ideas without the constraints of product-oriented near-term development objectives.
We think critically and creatively. We dare to question. We are passionate about science and engineering in all forms. And we help shape the future of aerospace.
Tasks & accountabilities
Define the scientific foci of Airbus Blue Sky:
- Monitor cutting edge research across a wide breadth of scientific disciplines and critically evaluate potential future benefits in the aerospace sector.
- Contribute to the definition of the scientific foci or Airbus Blue Sky.
Lead scientific research activities:
- Manage projects, workshops and white paper investigations with world-class researchers from academic and national laboratories.
- Foster lasting connections between external researchers and Airbus community.
Ensure deadlines and budgets are met, and scientific results are achieved.
Be an Airbus Blue Sky ambassador:
- Advocate for Airbus Blue Sky activities across the Airbus family and to external stakeholders, in particular: Academic researchers; National research labs; Promising startups and SMEs; Industrial partners.
- Inspire and engage technical and non-technical communities, both inside and outside Airbus, in the work of Airbus Blue Sky.
- Communicate Airbus Blue Sky achievements: At scientific conferences; Across digital platforms.
Contribute to the development of Airbus Blue Sky:
- Actively participate in shaping and improving Airbus Blue Sky, including: Propose actions following feedback from Airbus members; Offer perspective on strengths/weaknesses of running Airbus Blue Sky activities; Implement changes put forward by Airbus Blue Sky leadership.
- Provide administrative support for the running of Airbus Blue Sky.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
- Educated to a degree in physics, applied mathematics or similar.
- Candidates with experience in any of the following areas are especially encouraged to apply: quantum physics, incl. q. computing, q. communication, q. sensing, q. optics – computational neuroscience & autonomous cyber-physical systems, incl. bio-inspired / bio-hardware-hybrid computer systems
- Proven scientific track record: highly cited publications
- Broad scientific background with experience across multiple scientific and/or engineering disciplines
Project management experience – basic qualifications:
- Experienced in leading and managing complex experimental research activities,
- Experience in the preparation of project proposals with multiple partners.
Project management experience
- Experience in leading and managing multi-national research projects,
- Management of annual budgets
- Experience in organizing and managing workshops, conferences, colloquia or other scientific gatherings
- Works well under pressure and deadline oriented.
- Willingness to travel.
- Fluent in English. Professional-level knowledge in French is a strong plus.
- Airbus (Corporate Functions), Airbus Defence and Space, Other Business
- approx. 6,500
- Open positions
Find the right job
Browse through the Airbus job market in order to find the position that suits you the most! The Job Market search engine will guide you through the different criteria you can select to look for jobs.
Create your profile & apply
Whether you’re applying for a vacancy in the Job Market or joining our candidate pool, you will need to create a candidate profile in the job market. Don’t forget to submit all relevant documents with your application: CV, cover letter, etc.
Pass the selection
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be screened by our recruitment team. If successful at this stage, we will get in touch with you for a first contact interview.
Please apply for this vacancy at our careers site (www.jobs.airbus-group.com) with your CV attached.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.