Software System Lead
Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2016, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
An excellent opportunity has arisen to join our Navigation Product Development group as a hands-on Software/Firmware Team Leader, leading a team of developers and delivering product and system development projects across a variety of domains and technologies.
As an experienced Software Development Team Leader, whilst being highly technical and hands-on capable with a history of delivering technical solutions and mentoring/leading others to excel, you will lead development projects across predominantly GNSS based software and embedded technologies. Managing the successful delivery of projects will require you to plan, coordinate and lead activities across the full delivery lifecycle. This will include working closely with the department’s product manager, project managers, GNSS domain experts & architects, the developers, as well as liaising with key project stakeholders as required.
Your technical background and experience will ensure you can offer the support and guidance required, being able to support and assist developers at code level, mentor junior members and conduct in depth code reviews and appraisals.
This role offers challenges across a wide variety of projects and responsibilities, including the opportunity to influence the future direction of the department and systems used across the business.
To apply for this role, in addition to having a proven team leader background you must also have proven technical capability and a track record in software, embedded software (and some appreciation of firmware) development, combined with experience in leading development teams and delivery of projects within a product focused software development environment.
You will be joining a team of diverse skills and experience and the job requires a motivated individual who is experienced in taking responsibility and can independently deliver results on both departmental and business projects.
Tasks & accountabilities
- Managing the delivery of development projects from design through to release.
- Personal development of a team of highly educated developers.
- Thorough technical understanding of software, embedded software, hardware architectures, operating systems (including real time OS), complier technologies, high performance computing principles.
- Background understanding of FPGA circuit design and implementation, principles of hardware design specifically ADC and DAC technologies, RF communication systems.
- Capable of understanding and contributing to the technical solution from design through code level to test and verification.
- Working closely with development Project Managers and business managers to produce accurate delivery estimates and manage the transition from analysis through to design and delivery
- Provide regular and effective progress updates to and work closely with development project Managers to ensure the management of any delivery risks or issues
- Define delivery phases of the project including activities, sub-activities, and milestones ensuring these are documented and used as the basis for the project event log, issues and risk log and any subsequent reporting
- Ensure awareness, involvement and support from the key stakeholders and participants by building strong project teams and maintaining robust communication on the project status throughout its life cycle
- Participate in reviews and meetings and provide updates on project progress
- Take responsibility for ensuring that risks and issues are identified and managed closely and drive all stakeholders to deliver on time and to the required quality standards
- Work closely with relevant teams internally to ensure alignment and coordination across operations as part of the seamless implementation of existing and new systems
- Contributing to post implementation reviews helping to demonstrate success or otherwise of projects
- Supporting project resource scheduling and department capacity planning
- Contribution to the definition of departmental and systems strategies and progression of any allocated objectives
- Ownership, development and management of allocated departmental processes
- Undertake small analysis projects in the form of consultancy and or prototyping
- Work on a wide range of projects involving the implementation of new and existing systems, solutions and processes
- Take responsibility for making key decisions to ensure the successful implementation of all initiatives
Experience of people management and the ability to lead and influence others
Experience in formal personal development planning and individual, team and process performance management
Proven experience in leading and managing the delivery of system/software/embedded software/firmware development projects in a structured environment
Experience in a variety of software development approaches and methodologies including Agile and Waterfall
Experience in both architecture and implementation-level software design
Experience in software/hardware interfaces and top level hardware system design
Experience in requirements capture, analysis techniques and process improvement approaches
Experience in the development of software using c, c++, Java,
Experience in the usage of UML and sysML
Strong facilitation and coaching skills
Excellent personal organisation and ability to prioritise and carry out multiple tasks
Able to influence and drive projects to meet key milestones and overcome challenges
Comfortable working without routine supervision
A desire to remain technically capable and an expert in current technologies.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
- United Kingdom
- Airbus Defence and Space
- approx.. 1,000
- Open positions
Find the right job
Browse through the Airbus job market in order to find the position that suits you the most! The Job Market search engine will guide you through the different criteria you can select to look for jobs.
Create your profile & apply
Whether you’re applying for a vacancy in the Job Market or joining our candidate pool, you will need to create a candidate profile in the job market. Don’t forget to submit all relevant documents with your application: CV, cover letter, etc.
Pass the selection
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be screened by our recruitment team. If successful at this stage, we will get in touch with you for a first contact interview.
Please apply for this vacancy on line at our careers site (www.jobs.airbusgroup.com) with your CV attached.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.