Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2016, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Due to team expansion, a vacancy has arisen for a Mechanical Engineer within the Terminals engineering team at Airbus Defence and Space in Portsmouth.
The Terminals product portfolio includes servo-controlled gimballed satellite communication antenna assemblies for military applications (SCOT Mission, SCOT Patrol and Air Patrol), along with 19” rack mounted control equipment, and airborne ARINC electronic enclosures.
The role is to work within our Mechanical Engineering team, on a series of challenging mechanical design projects as well as ongoing product support, in both the Naval and Airborne product areas. This will involve a wide variety of tasks such as concept design, detailed mechanical design, a range of analytical tasks and test / validation activities.
The successful applicant will need to gain UK Security Clearance in order to undertake work in accordance with business needs.
Tasks & accountabilities
The main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Concept and detailed design of complex mechanical assemblies.
- Presentation of design solutions to peers / management at design reviews.
- Structural and Thermal justification of designs for harsh environments – through manual calculation and FEA.
- Supporting testing and validation programmes at both in-house and external test houses.
- Ensuring drawings, models, bills of materials and engineering change notes etc are correct and accurate.
- Design for Manufacture.
- Supporting the products through the full lifecycle.
This role will involve some travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
- Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree.
- Strong working background in mechanical design of complex mechanical assemblies, preferably in Defence / Aerospace or similar sector.
- CAD experience (preferably Catia V5 / V6).
- Proven analytical skills in a range of areas including stress, thermal, dynamics.
- Practical understanding of engineering and design solutions.
- Team player, well organised, communicative and determined, with the ability to work within a busy engineering department with the minimum of supervision.
- Structural and/or thermal FEA experience (preferably FEMAP / Nastran / TMG)
- Knowledge of designing and analysing composite structures.
- Experience of designing to meet Military requirements.
- Knowledge of Satcom industry.
- Knowledge of low-volume manufacturing methods.
- Experience in a complex systems environment.
- Working as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping methods.
- Experience of/familiarity with PDM systems.
- United Kingdom
- Airbus Defence and Space
- approx.. 1,000
- Open positions
Find the right job
Browse through the Airbus job market in order to find the position that suits you the most! The Job Market search engine will guide you through the different criteria you can select to look for jobs.
Create your profile & apply
Whether you’re applying for a vacancy in the Job Market or joining our candidate pool, you will need to create a candidate profile in the job market. Don’t forget to submit all relevant documents with your application: CV, cover letter, etc.
Pass the selection
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be screened by our recruitment team. If successful at this stage, we will get in touch with you for a first contact interview.
Please apply for this vacancy on line at our careers site (www.jobs.airbusgroup.com) with your CV attached.
-- By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.