Field Service Engineer
Airbus Defence & Space Portsmouth (Skynet)
Airbus Defence & Space Oakhanger (Skynet)
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2016, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Field Service engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space, Ideally the successful candidate will be based out of Portsmouth however there is the option to be based out of Oakhanger.
The successful applicant will join the Maritime Field Service Team (MFST). The MFS team is responsible for the provision of through life support, installation, integration, commissioning, modifications and upgrade activities across a portfolio of Airbus Defence and Space assets and customer sites. (as applicable).
The Field Service Engineer will typically engage directly with the customer or their representatives to ensure that all Airbus supported assets are implemented and maintained to exacting engineering standards and at optimum cost. As well as team working you will also be expected to provide individual technical support via an on-call rota and you must be prepared to travel at short notice to UK and worldwide locations.
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK DV Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Provision of through life maintenance and engineering support to satellite communications systems, base band and SATCOM Terminals on-board military maritime vessels under contract to Airbus, whilst also provisioning support to tactical antennas, equipment and systems at land platforms and ground stations.
- Provision of specialist 24/7 on-call system support on a rotational basis within a team.
*On call duties are covered over a 7 x day duration at an approximate ratio of 1 in 7. An on call payment is provided with an additional payment being made for an actual call out
- Provide an escalation point from Operations and take ownership of on-going fault investigations on Skynet 5 and M2 associated military remote assets.
- On-site management / supervision of installation work, system test and commissioning on data Comms, RF and mechanical systems and equipment.
- Provide Technical assistance and support to the Customer Service Group Help desk, both by telephone support and site visits as appropriate.
- Commissioning and testing of Satellite systems of varying frequencies from C band up to Ka Band, at fixed ground stations as well as V-Sat, mobile terminals, and Naval systems.
- Commissioning of Antenna tracking systems on both large Ground Station Antennas and smaller mobile Antennas in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Assist and support the Field Service Team Manager to define the technical requirements relating to the provision of TL maintenance and support for future projects.
This role will involve travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
- A minimum of a HND/HNC certification in a suitable engineering discipline.
- Proven experience in the Defence and/or Maritime industry
- Demonstrable knowledge of satellite communications and networks.
- Ability to successfully engage with internal technical and operations teams, external customers and stakeholders.
- Proactive and autonomous, you should be a team player with good report writing, communication skills and attention to detail.
- Must be analytical with a structured and diagnostic approach towards technical problem solving.
- CCNA – An ability to demonstrate knowledge and experience of TCP/IP protocols and technologies.
- Experience in an IP support environment
- Knowledge of IP and Serial encryption devices.
- Knowledge of Servers, OS and applications.
- Knowledge of ATM, and Nortel Passport
- Knowledge of X21, RS530 and serial communications protocols
- United Kingdom
- Airbus Defence and Space
- approx.. 1,000
- Open positions
Find the right job
Browse through the Airbus job market in order to find the position that suits you the most! The Job Market search engine will guide you through the different criteria you can select to look for jobs.
Create your profile & apply
Whether you’re applying for a vacancy in the Job Market or joining our candidate pool, you will need to create a candidate profile in the job market. Don’t forget to submit all relevant documents with your application: CV, cover letter, etc.
Pass the selection
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be screened by our recruitment team. If successful at this stage, we will get in touch with you for a first contact interview.
Please apply for this vacancy on line at our careers site (www.jobs.airbusgroup.com) with your CV attached.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.