Airbus Defence and Space Stevenage
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Are you a Materials Engineer with commercial experience in Materials and Processes? Have you worked on projects specialising on Long-term reliability vehicles (spacecraft, automotive, aerospace)? Are you interested in working on Materials and Processes that are used for the manufacture of Airbus spacecraft? Then this is the role for you!
A vacancy for a Materials Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space to work on the design, manufacture and testing of space flight hardware in Stevenage.
We’re looking for a Materials Engineer with extensive knowledge and experience of materials (metallic, non-metallics and organics) who will provide technical leadership from Materials and Processes perspective throughout the life cycle of the satellite. You will act as the final M&P interface with shop floor, Project Team and with end Customer. Materials Project Engineers focus on providing project related M&P support and expertise. We provide support to Telecoms projects and Earth Observation Navigation and Science projects. Projects include ExoMars Rover, Solar Orbiter and Biomass. In the department of approximately 15 engineers we work on materials qualifications, interface with customers such as the European Space Agency, suppliers, resolve non-conformances and support project related developments. As the technical support provided could be related to any part of the spacecraft, a broad understanding of materials and processes is required for this role.
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Tasks & accountabilities
- Provide leadership in the choice of Materials and Processes (M&P) to the Project Team.
- Act as technical authority for the qualification of materials and processes (review of qualification test plans/reports and interpretation of data).
- Lead Materials and Process Review Boards (MPCB) for all equipments and sub-systems comprising a satellite with lower tier suppliers, sub-contractors and the end Customer.
- Provide M&P leadership to the Project Team at various Project review milestones (Spacecraft level PDR, CDR, QAR etc.).
- Act as the final interface on behalf of Project Team in terms of M&P with the final Customer.
- Support M&P related R&D activities.
- Compile database of qualified Materials and Processes used in the manufacture of satellite.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
- In-depth knowledge and commercial experience in materials science.
- Knowledge of reasons for choosing M&P for space/aerospace applications.
- Demonstrable skill for conducting qualification test programmes for specific applications.
- Demonstrable experience of various joining methods (welding, soldering, brazing, adhesive bonding).
- Working knowledge of surface treatments/finishes (plating, painting, anodising).
- Experience of managing suppliers/sub-contractors from M&P perspective.
- Proven written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of spacecraft sub-systems (structure panels, propulsion systems, avionics, thermal sub-systems, communication sub-system, Antennae, Solar Array etc.) would be an advantage.
Your Materials Engineering knowledge (properties and applications of a wide range of metallic and non-metallic materials) will also be sought in the identification of new materials and processes for future applications. The applications will be used in a space environment (radiation, thermal, vacuum).
- United Kingdom
- Airbus Defence and Space
- approx.. 1,200
- Open positions
Find the right job
Browse through the Airbus job market in order to find the position that suits you the most! The Job Market search engine will guide you through the different criteria you can select to look for jobs.
Create your profile & apply
Whether you’re applying for a vacancy in the Job Market or joining our candidate pool, you will need to create a candidate profile in the job market. Don’t forget to submit all relevant documents with your application: CV, cover letter, etc.
Pass the selection
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be screened by our recruitment team. If successful at this stage, we will get in touch with you for a first contact interview.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.