Payload Mechanical & Thermal Systems Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2016, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Payload Mechanical & Thermal Systems Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth.
An experienced mechanical systems engineer is required to undertake the mechanical /thermal systems engineering tasks on communications payloads, encompassing mechanical configuration, structural design and analysis, specification and definition of hardware, support to payload integration, test and validation and liaison with customer representatives.
Suitable candidates will have:
- A methodical approach to work, with sufficient commitment and drive complete tasks, even where adverse conditions are encountered
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience of working directly with customers and with the ability to present ideas and concepts to the customer with authority.
- Ability to efficiently organise and co-ordinate their work.
- Ability to generate innovative solutions and to communicate them.
- A willingness to travel overseas
- Experience of/familiarity with PDM and MRP/ERP systems
- Team player, well organised, communicative and determined, with the ability to work on their own initiative
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
Specific tasks in the mechanical engineering domain are likely to include:
- Participation in communication payload proposals/studies
- Communications system/payload requirements analysis
- Support trade-offs of payload architectures and interfaces
- Present design solutions to peers and manager.
- Influence and justify design as appropriate Communications payload mechanical system configuration
- Analysis and structural design/verification of payload hardware sub systems or assemblies
- Support to equipment specification development
- Design review of payload equipment designs and interfaces
- Support to validation and test strategy development and specification
- Support to payload integration/test Liaison with customer representatives and participation in design reviews and meetings.
- Endorse all aspects of payload mechanical and thermal design.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
Qualifications and/or Skills
- Engineering / Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent
- A proven track record and solid experience in mechanical engineering within the aerospace, defence or avionics industries
- Experience in a complex systems environment
- Ideally experience in spacecraft or payload mechanical/thermal systems engineering or similar
- Knowledge or experience in Telecom Payload AIT activities (mechanical aspects) or design
- Knowledge or experience in either mechanical or thermal analysis
- United Kingdom
- Airbus Defence and Space
- approx.. 1,000
- Open positions
Find the right job
Browse through the Airbus job market in order to find the position that suits you the most! The Job Market search engine will guide you through the different criteria you can select to look for jobs.
Create your profile & apply
Whether you’re applying for a vacancy in the Job Market or joining our candidate pool, you will need to create a candidate profile in the job market. Don’t forget to submit all relevant documents with your application: CV, cover letter, etc.
Pass the selection
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be screened by our recruitment team. If successful at this stage, we will get in touch with you for a first contact interview.
Please apply for this vacancy on line at our careers site (www.jobs.airbusgroup.com) with your CV attached.
-- By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.