Airbus Defence & Space Portsmouth
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2016, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Component Scientist has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join the UK EEE Engineering and Radiation Group.
The group carries out failure analysis investigations and construction analysis on Electronic, Electrical & Electro-mechanical components for the space industry and also provides technical consultancy on all electronic components and their usage conditions throughout (and beyond) the company.
The Component Scientist will produce or review EEE procurement specifications, produce test plans for component investigations and to represent the Group in the Local Parts Committee (LPC) and the Component Technical Committee (CTC).
The position will be based in Portsmouth, though some travel could be necessary.
The successful applicant will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Tasks & accountabilities
The group has access to a range of apparatus and equipment to assist with investigations and the Component Scientist would need to be able to utilise them during investigations. Amongst this equipment are:
- Optical microscopes.
- Scanning Electron Microscope including a Focussed Ion Beam miller and EDX analysis.
- Electronic measuring equipment including parameter analysers and a probe station.
- Microsectioning equipment (lapping polishing etc.)
- X-Ray Fluorescence equipment.
- Real-time X-Ray imager.
- Leak tester.
- Bond-pull tester.
- PIND tester.
- A knowledge of Electronic, Electrical & Electro-mechanical component testing (using Automatic Test Equipment, oscilloscopes etc)
- A knowledge of electronic device failure mechanisms; the physics of device reliability and device design/processing
- Experience in applying these skills to failure analysis
- The ability to communicate technical matters, both verbally and in writing, to a range of people, both technical and non-technical
- The ability to work in a team environment and yet be self-motivated
- The ability to work accurately to deadlines and under pressure
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, MathCAD and Paint Shop Pro
- Good mathematical and statistical skills are also required
- United Kingdom
- Airbus Defence and Space
- approx.. 1,000
- Open positions
Find the right job
Browse through the Airbus job market in order to find the position that suits you the most! The Job Market search engine will guide you through the different criteria you can select to look for jobs.
Create your profile & apply
Whether you’re applying for a vacancy in the Job Market or joining our candidate pool, you will need to create a candidate profile in the job market. Don’t forget to submit all relevant documents with your application: CV, cover letter, etc.
Pass the selection
Once you’ve submitted your application, it will be screened by our recruitment team. If successful at this stage, we will get in touch with you for a first contact interview.
Please apply for this vacancy on line at our careers site (www.jobs.airbus.com) with your CV attached.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.